NOW UP ON OUR INSPIRATIONAL SERIES ;EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW with CEO/Creative Director of G.T Festus Photography and Films

On our inspirational series ; Interview segment with ATJ  is CEO/Creative Director of G.T Festus Photography  and Films GT Festus. He shares with us his story ,his struggles and achievements .





"When you keep doing what you love to do, you grow in the process, you learn, unlearn and relearn"

 "Let passion drive you. You would chicken out if you don't have passion for the profession. Photography is not as easy as it seems on the surface."












ATJ: Can you briefly introduce yourself sir ?

 GT: My name is Godwin T. Festus. I am the CEO/Creative Director at G.T Festus Photography and Films. I am a visual artist.

ATJ: At what point did you take photography as a profession ?

GT: Well....the drive started from school as an undergraduate, for the record, I am a trained Journalist with an indepth knowledge of Public Relations and Advertising. I graduated from Olabisi Onanbanjo University Ogun State ,Mass communication Dept .In my third year, we were given a group assignment to produce a magazine program. I was the group leader. Due to lack of facilities at the department, ie, camera,lighting etc.. we had to look elsewhere, So I met a local videographer at Ijebu Igbo...a neighboring community- Kings Media. He provided us with his equipment and helped us through the recording. I got fascinated with the whole process. I told him I'd like to learn more ,So he offered to train me and  charged 40k. It all started from there , i was going out with him , recording crusades, burial etc. Some of my course mates thought I was crazy, you know the feeling as an undergraduate going from one village to another with a camera.So the passion grew stronger and i started dreaming of becoming a director ,directing movies and musicals. Permit me to answer your first question as those were just a background information to the question.
 Well after school, I wanted to start as a director. But I didn't have the necessary knowledge and equipment. Then I thought of venturing into photography, just to keep me in check and on track
 It then dawned on me I could make a career out of photography.


ATJ: That is quite interesting . what aspect of photography are you into and what other services does your  company render ?

GT: I do portraits and Weddings/Events.


ATJ: what do you think of Nigerian creative industry ?

GT: I really need to commend  the prowess of  some young Nigerians. I think the youths are now waking up. The creative industry is really growing, albeit there are more to be done. And I'd like to use this medium to tell every youth out there, that creative industry is the new shift, the new economy. If you don't have a skill, please acquire one.

ATJ: That's the word .! what is  your educational background like ?

GT: It wasn't a walk in the park. My Primary Education was ST. Brigids Mokola Ibadan. Secondary Sch, Community Grammer School Ring Road Ibadan. And I graduated from Olabisi Onabanjo University Ogun States.

ATJ: while growing up , which profession did interest you initially ?

 GT: Legal...I wanted to be a lawyer

ATJ: wow, what a huge transformation ..lol.  so what does GT stand for in your company name  GT FESTUS PHOTOGRAPHY?

 GT: My surname and First name Godwin Thomas.

ATJ: How has the journey been so far and what has kept you going ?

GT:   It has not really been easy. Its not easy to build a brand in this country, especially when you don't have financial support. Everybody wants to become an entrepreneur, not everybody is ready to fight their way through.Time will not permit me to go into details. But  three things have kept me going....1. God--- when you put God first, He'll always make way for you 2. Passion---- Passion is the reason why I'm still here today.
3. Consistency- This has a way of shaping every business. When you keep doing what you love to do, you grow in the process, you learn, unlearn and relearn.

ATJ: So how was it getting capital to start your business ?

GT: I worked with a firm. I was able to save few cash. Then I contacted my uncle in America to help me get a camera. I told him how much I had, and he assisted me with the rest. That was all I needed to start the business.

ATJ: what has been your most embarrasing moment so far in the business ?

GT: I can't really pinpoint... I got many embarrassing moment, but the biggest one was a client asking me to come to her house at Lekki for some portraits. I went there with my last cash, trekked from Lekki gate to her house. I got there and her security told me Madam is not around.
 I almost fainted. I was like madam just called me 2 hours ago, call madam and tell her I'm outside. I called her PA , he didn't pick. I was stranded,had to beg people for tfare at Lekki busstop . Others are "on the job' embarrassment like you want to take some people's pictures at a wedding and they be like noo noo take your camera away from my face😀.

ATJ: Thats serious... quite funny, but it could be a really  hurting scenerio , i am sure you are making your profits now . So whats your advice to upcoming youths who would love to go into photography?

GT: Let passion drive you. You would chicken out if you don't have passion for the profession. Photography is not as easy as it seems on the surface. I mean real photography not the N100 5x7 point-and-shoot  photographers you see at events. Work on building a reputable brand. I discovered some photographers are mistaking social media likes(Instagram and Facebook) for growth. Well that may be growth of some sort. Just grow with your brand.

ATJ: who are those in the industry that you would love to work with some day?

 GT: TyBello, Kelechi Amadi Obi, Phlean(America)..a whole lot of them.

ATJ: I am sure that would pull through some day . It has been nice having you on this platform . Thanks for sharing your online time with us .

GT: Thank you. I feel honoured. Thanks for the opportunity.



IG handle @gtfestus @gtfestusportraits
Facebook is @gtfestusphotography
And @gtfestusportraits
GMAIL- gtfestusphotography@gmail.com
TEL-08063695673






Comments

Popular Posts